Today when I logged into my orkut account in the morning the first scrap that I read was from my school friend Devyani.She wanted me to post a chicken recipe in my blog.I debated what to make for dinner and that too a chicken dish.Dinner at my place is always a light affair,mostly baked or steamed,sometimes just an appetizing soup with a filler like pasta or rice in it and a nutritious salad.I make sure lunch is a proper balanced meal with dal, roti, subzi and curd on the table.Finally I decided on chicken stroganoff minus the butter and cream . The dish is cubed chicken and mushrooms simmered in tomato cream sauce,a little yoghurt is added to the cream to make the dish lighter.I use olive oil to make the dish more lighter and lessen the amount of cream .
So this is for you devyani,this is one of our favourite chicken preparation and a Nita Mehta creation.We had our delicious dinner with steaming hot rice and without forgetting the religious photography of the sizzling pan.Finally the chicken stroganoff is ready to blog about.
2 boneless chicken breasts ,cubed into 1"pcs
2 tbsp butter
1 small onion finely chopped
100 gms mushroom-each cut into 2 pcs( if big 4 pcs)
1 cup chicken stock or water
1/2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp tomato sauce
1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
3 flakes garlic chopped and crushed
1 tbsp flour
1/2 cup cream
2 tbsp thick yoghurt
1/4 tsp pepper and chilli pwdr salt to taste
1 capsicum chopped into cubes for garnish
- Marinate the chicken pcs in salt,pepper and chilli pwdr for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter in a pan, add onion and cook till light brown.Add the mushrooms and cook for 1-2 mins,remove from the pan.
- In the same pan add 1 tbsp butter and add the chicken pcs,stir fry till well browned on both sides, for about 4-5 mins. Add 1 cup of water and close the lid and simmer for 15 mins.Remove from fire.
- take out 1/2 cup of chicken stock from the pan.Cool the stock and blend in the flour and mix well.
- Return pan with chicken to heat.Add tomato puree,tomato sauce,worcestershire sauce,garlic and the fried onion mushroom to the chicken in the pan.Add salt pepper and the blended flour paste.Stir and boil.
- Whip Cream and yoghurt well so that there are no lumps.
- Take the pan off the heat,add cream yoghurt mixture and blend well.
- Add chopped capsicum,heat on low flame and remove when it starts to boil.Serve with steamed rice.