And the pumpkin saga continues....the humble ,versatile pumpkin in a new avatar, super moist pumpkin spice squares studded with chocochips. These squares are baked with white chocolate and pumpkin pie spice.Pumpkin Pie spice is a blend of powdered cinnamon,nutmeg,cloves and ginger and sometimes all spice(Jamaican Pepper).
Simple and delicious and the chocolate chips are the wow factor in this recipe.My kids loved the pumpkin part just because of the choco chips and the white chocolate in it takes it to a different level altogether....little sweet pockets against the dense ,spicy cake!
I boiled a huge batch of pumpkins and puréed them in the food processor and froze them in individual small zip locks so that can use them as and when needed.I substituted the butter part with oil to make the cake a little healthier and I prefer it that way.
1C all purpose Flour
2/3 C brown Sugar
1 large Egg
1/2 C refined Oil
1/2 C pumpkin purée
2 tsp Pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp baking Soda
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 C white chocolate ,chopped
1/4 C choco chips
1/2 tsp salt
- Grease a 9 inch square pan and preheat the oven to 180 deg C .
- Whisk together flour,baking soda, spices and salt in a bowl.
- With an electric mixer whisk the egg and then add sugar and whisk till it increases in volume and the sugar is incorporated,approximately for 3-4 mins.
- Now add the oil gradually whisking it simultaneously.
- Add the vanilla extract and pumpkin purée and mix.
- Now with the mixer speed in low mix in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in the white chocolate chips or chopped chocolate with a spatula into the mix.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 mins or till a toothpick inserted comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Take out from the oven when the cake is hot and spread the 1/4 C chocochips on the cake and press them gently on to the cake .
- Cool and cut into squares.
I am sending those pumpkin Chocochip squares as an entry for Helens Casa Costello event Bake of the week