Oct 7, 2015

Kadali Chakuli..eggless whole wheat banana pancakes...Odiya recipe with a contemporary touch.




I have very fond memories of these pancakes or mitha chakuli as known in Odisha ,my native state.A very common breakfast back home made with overripe bananas ,wheat flour ,milk and sugar.This is a simpler banana version of chakuli.My Aai( maternal grandmother) used to make loads of these when we visited her place.Her death was the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with.This post takes me back to those sweet days of my childhood.She would delight in piling up a large plate with those delicious banana pancakes and the plate would get polished off within minutes.Now my children savour these healthy,moist,fluffy pancakes in their breakfast or in their lunchbox.The authentic recipe asks for aniseed as a taste enhancer but my kids love the cinnamon version.I give a twist to the pancakes by cooking in a panniyaram pan which gives a ball shape ,fluffy inside and nice and crispy outside.I am sending these pancakes to Srivalli's Breakfast Event.


You require
1C whole wheat flour
1 big overripe banana
1 tbsp powdered sugar
1 C milk or enough to mix it to a thick flowing consistency
1/2 tsp aniseed (saunf)/ cinnamon powder(dalchini)/cardamom powder(elaichi)
2-3 tsp refined oil for shallow frying

Method
Mash the banana in a bowl.
Add the sugar ,wheat flour and aniseed to the banana.
Now add the milk gradually while whisking till a thick flowing consistency.
Pour a ladle full of batter on a heated non stick pan with a little oil on medium heat .
Flip the pancake when it is browned on one side and cook till the other side has brown spots on it.
Serve with a pancake syrup or honey drizzled on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS

Related Posts with Thumbnails