With the festival season in full swing all Indian kitchens are busy churning out new delicacies every day.Odiya delicacies dominate my kitchen on festivals and holidays.With sweets and delectable desserts in abundance everywhere the craving for simple, comfort food rises.
Last week during the Durga Puja I was into lot of traditional cooking and had made these golden fried eggplant slices with some Mung Dal Khichdi.These eggplant fry is called Baigana Bhaja in Odisha.The eggplant is cut into half inch roundels ,marinated in turmeric,salt and chilli powder and deep fried or shallow fried in mustard oil .
Bhaja in Odiya means fry and it's an integral part of a traditional Oriya meal.Its an accompaniment with rice,dal and curries.Have seen cooks deep frying the roundels in marriages and functions but I prefer to shallow fry in a wok with 2-3 tbsp of Mustard oil which imparts a unique flavour to the dishes.
2 round variety eggplants / brinjals
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp salt or according to taste
3-4 tbsp mustard oil for shallow frying
- Wash and wipe dry the eggplants ,cut into 1/2 inch thick roundels.
- Marinate with the turmeric,chilli powder and salt.
- Smear it uniformly on the slices and keep it marinated for 15 mins.
- Heat the mustard oil in a wok till smoke emanates from it .
- Lessen the heat and fry the marinated slices in batches of 2 or 3 in a medium flame.
- Cook both the sides till nice and brown.
- Serve with a proper Oriya meal or with just plain ghee smeared Khichdi .