What is the best part about being a mom?The love I receive from my daughters, the hugs and kisses, watching them grow, the giggles and the ring of laughter in the house, the unconditional love, the I love yous and the list is endless.For me cooking their favourite dish or baking a cake for them gives me immense pleasure...seeing the twinkle in their eyes when they gorge on it makes me super happy and satisfied.
And this Zebra pattern cake was baked as a reward for my younger one. A surprise for her in the lunch box was my plan and so it was baked in the night after dinner, after tucking her into the bed.I felt that the swirls could have been more neat nevertheless the pattern in the baked cake was perfect, exactly how I wanted. A eye catching stripy cake and super easy once you know the trick.For this cake I used my marble cake recipe which I follow from Donna Hay ' s Cook Book.
All purpose plain flour 2 1/4 C
Baking powder 2 1/4 tsp
Cocoa powder(sifted) 1/4 C
Castor (superfine) Sugar 1 1/4 C (2 tbsp extra)
Butter (unsalted) 250 g(8 oz)
Vanilla extract 1 tsp
Milk 1 C(8 fl oz)(1 tbsp extra)
- Preheat the oven to 170 deg C
- Place the butter ,sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy.
- Gradually add the eggs one by one and beat well.Sift the flour and the baking powder over the butter mixture and fold through with the milk alternately.
- Divide the mixture into two and stir the cocoa powder,extra milk and sugar through one of the mixtures.Make sure both the mixtures consistency should be the same.
- Grease and line a 10 inch round baking tin with parchment paper and drop alternate spoonfuls of both the mixtures and you will see concentric circles forming like this.
Bake in a preheated oven for 40-45 mins or till a wooden skewer comes out clean.
This lovely, light, spongy,stripy cake disappeared from my cake platter within minutes and was a hit with my little one and her friends.Enjoyed watching my loved ones devour the labor of my love.