Apr 18, 2008

Lentil Shepherd's Pie

Friends ,I have had my first taste of rude anonymous comments,unfortunately it is not about my cooking or recipes but concerns my personal life.This person has so much time that he/she has created a new account under a new name(as anonymous comments are prohibited in my blog) and left an insolent ,abusive comment for me...see how important I am for this person:)I had read about these pranksters in other blogs...so was mentally prepared.I had a good laugh at the enlightening comment and I feel that people who do not have the guts to come out in the open do these cowardly acts and get immense satisfaction,basically psychos who have had a bad day at work or might be one of those guys whom I had ditched in my college days :P



My post today is lentil shepherd's pie...brown lentils with cottage cheese layered with creamy potato mixture and baked to perfection.I served steamed broccoli sauteed with olive oil and carom seeds(ajwain) with it and garlic bread which made it a perfect continental dinner with an indian touch.The recipe is adapted from my favourite Nita Mehta's continental collection.
You need:
To be pressure cooked:
1 cup brown lentils(saboot masoor)
1 tbsp oil
1" pc ginger
3 cups water
salt to taste
For filling:
2 tbsp olive oil
a pinch asofoetida(hing)
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 large carrot,cut into tiny pcs
1/2 cup boiled peas
100 gm cottagecheese(paneer) crumbled
1/2 tsp soya sauce
For topping:
4 potatoes boiled,peeled,grated and mashed till smooth
2-3 tbsp butter
1/4 cup hot milk
2 tbsp cream
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or coriander
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper to taste Method:
1.Pressure cook the lentils with all the other ingredients under to be pressure cooked to give 1 whistle,simmer on low heat for 12 mins.If there is any water dry on fire.
2.Add all the ingredients under topping to the mashed potatoes and mix well.
3.To prepare the filling,heat oil,add asofoetida and pepper and saute for 3-4 secs.Add the carrots and stir for 1 min.Cover and cook on low heat for 2-3 mins till soft.Add peas and salt and mix.
4.Mix salt and soya sauce to the crumbled cottage cheese and mix well.
5.Combine the cottage cheese,lentils and the cooked carrots and peas.
6.Spread this pie filling evenly at the bottom of a greased oven proof dish.



7.Cover the mixture with the potatoes,level the potatoes with a knife.Ripple or score the potato mixture with a fork in a decorative design,by making lines on the topping as shown in the picture.
8.Preheat oven to 200 deg C.Bake for 25-30 mins till the potato topping turns golden.Serve hot.
.

43 comments:

  1. Oh dear, don't you worry. Such nasties will always be around, so just ignore them. The pie looks lovely and the Indianized filling sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont worry dear!leave it and just ignore them!The pie is such an innovative idea!looks so yummm.

    My idea:Enable comment moderation.(settings->Comments->Enable comment moderation?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pie saswati. As for people like "dynamic" you should just not be bothered. Just goes to show you are reaching far and wide on the blogging scene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious looking pie.
    I would say dont be bothered about such remarks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coward act! Cheer up Dear, we have to face all those things ... Like ur pie with lentil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too would say, ignore these anonymous! I recently had my share of it. I was quite taken aback myself as wasn't expecting it.because I don't see any reason...But now have blocked anonymous.

    Your pie looks wonderful. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the right attitude not to let remarks like that get to you. Still, it is upsetting at first... On the upside, your twist on sheperd's pie looks awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saswati, dogs will bark anyway, so just ignore :-)

    ...your pie looks great...my son adores shepherds pie, but I make it with the lamb mince, et al...your version sounds interesting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate stupid, ignorant people who have nothing to do but spew nonsense. I am glad that you are able to shurg it off.

    About the Shepherd's pie, I think that it is a great idea for a vegetarian version.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear, don't you worry sweetie and ignore them!

    Your pie looks scrummy :)

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a nice vegetarian version of Shepherd's pie, Saswati.
    Regarding the anononymous comment- don't take it to heart. Such people will always be around...
    The "delete" key is there for a reason. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you everybody for the supportive comments.This anonymous person is from Hyderabad my feedburner tells me...is visiting my site everyday atleast twice or thrice to check out how ppl are reacting to his nasty act.I think that all your comments are enough for him/ her to prove how shameful and spiteful his/her act is.Thankx to you all my friends:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for a veggie version! :) Always wanted to try Shepherd's Pie and now I can.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saswati, just ignore that person. Think about it this way - somebody is simply jealious because you have a nice blog!

    Oh, your shepherd pie looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yeah, just ignore such nasty comments. They just write to amuse themselves. Just delete them.

    the veg. version of your shepherd's pie appears delicious. Bookmarked to try. Thanks Saswathi.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the pie..creamy potato mixture sounds delcious..

    You know how ignorance is bliss so there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh dear! don't worry about it!
    the pie looks fantastic! i had tried something similar, but the topiing dried out, would like to try your version sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your attitude about the anon commented Saswati... :) Don't let them get to you... The shepherd's pie looks totally delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice recipe here Saswati..nice pie recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice recipe here Saswati..nice pie recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my god,Saswati. What is this guy trying to do.Oh god sounds terrible.

    Anyway the shepherd pie looks out of the world. I wish I stayed close to you and I would have always a got an oppurtunity to taste your amazinging recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love 'em both, your recipe and your attitude :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. A vegetarian shepherd's pie- how wonderful, Saswati. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks delicious Saswati! And good job in blasting the trolls.Really some people have no work!

    Homecooked

    ReplyDelete
  25. Don't worry saswati, these are people for whom you have the "delete comment" option.

    The pie looks great

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have a little surprise 4 u in my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Dear take care of urself. I wish a good recovery too :) U don't need to worry about blog, come back when u can!
    Take care,
    Cham

    ReplyDelete
  28. Saswati - We have an invitation for the new revamped 'Dining Hall' in my blog. I tried to search for ur email, but couldn't get it. I hope you will like it. take care and cya..

    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey Saswati, no posts in a while?

    ReplyDelete
  30. saswati, the pie looks delish, but I have been salivating over your RCI:Bengal entries, especially the payesh!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Saswati, please check my blog,I have got something special for u Dear.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Saswati,
    No news from you in a while?

    Take care, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  33. hey i m visiting ur blog for the first time....u have a wonderful set of recipes and this pie is too good.Would love to get ur feedback about my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi saswati, nice delicious looking pie. seeing your pie , I feeling like breaking my fast.
    As for the nasty comments, ignore them.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Saswati, hope all's well...haven't seen you around for a while...

    -take care,
    Sunita.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Nice pie recipe Saswati..looks deliciuos.

    Check My blog there is surprise for you.

    ReplyDelete
  37. How r u? No new posts from ur side ?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Saswati,
    where are you dear?
    its long time havnt seen you much
    pie looks yum.......
    hugs and smiles
    Jaya

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hello Saswati, How are you? Long since I heard from you or a post from you. Hope you are doing fine and just taking a break from blogging. Look forward to hear from you sometime soon. Take care - Pragyan

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Saswati, Hope everything is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  41. First time here you have a wonderful space and a lipsmacking collection of recipes...

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS

Related Posts with Thumbnails