Mar 26, 2008

Pear and Rum Souffle Omelette for WBB and AFAM



Nowadays my lunch and dinner menus are mostly based on the blog events.I had been warned by people that blogging is addictive and time consuming but no complaints ...I am enjoying every bit of it.Suddenly I discovered that there are so many facts about cooking that I am unaware of and wont forget to mention the excitement of finding a plethora of delectable delights so immaculately presented in the blogs and of course all the new faceless friends with a common passion of cooking with whom I have already started feeling connected:) Nowadays its a bliss to have my morning cup of tea logged onto Taste of India and checking out all the posts after Mishti and hubby leave for their respective destinations.
Today's post is about the entries for the fast approaching WBB -Healthy Breakfast and AFAM Pears .The common dish is Pear and rum souffle omlette where the rum is optional if you are making for children but with the rum its got a typical taste which I love.The dish is basically a well beaten sweet omelette with pears sauteed in rum as topping yummm.....the taste is divine the melt in the mouth kinds.
For Mansi of Fun and Food who is hosting WBB Balanced Breakfast this month I am sending this omelette with toast and a bowl of four cereal(wheat,oats ,barley,wholegrain rye) flakes cooked in milk and sugar and sprinkled with slivered almonds and a glass of fruit juice.I have included whole grains with milk, eggs, fruits in my breakfast , the whole grains being a source of dietary fiber,vitamins and minerals,eggs supplying the protein needed by your body and the pears which are full of strong health benefits.



This omelette also goes to Raaga of The Singing Chef who is hosting AFAM Pears this month.
Pears make good energy boosting snacks, a low calorie alternative and have vitamin C and copper which helps them to act as antioxidants.They are loaded with fiber and cancer preventing phytochemicals making them one of the best fruit choices.

For making Omelette:1 fresh pear of soft variety,peeled ,cored and sliced
2 tbsp rum
3 tsp sugar
2 eggs
1 tbsp water
10 g butter
caster sugar, to finish
Method:
1. Put the sliced pears in a saucepan with 1tbsp of rum and cook over low heat for 2 mins and then stir in 2 tsp of sugar and remove from fire.
2.Seperate the eggs and whisk the yolks with rest of the sugar until creamy.Add the water and remaining rum and beat again.
3.Whisk the egg whites and fold them into the yolk mixture.
4.Pour in the mixture in a heated pan coated with butter and cook over moderate heat until the underside is golden brown.
5.Place the pan under a preheated grill to brown the top of the omelette.Spoon the pear and rum mixture over one half of the omelette and flip the other half with a palette knife.Carefully turn out onto a plate and sprinkle with caster sugar.
You can alternatively use peaches instead of pears or spread the cooked omelette with a jam of your choice and fold and sprinkle with sugar.I normally make the second variation for my daughter omitting the rum part.....saute the fruit for a minute with butter and sprinkle with sugar.
The four cereal flakes are the quick cook variety, 1/2 a cup of flakes has been cooked with 1 cup of water , 1/2 a cup milk and 1 tsp sugar for 3 minutes on medium flame and served with a sprinkling of slivered almonds.



I turned 32 last saturday (22nd) ....well I am a little insecure about growing old,don't want to let go off the present..what I consider the golden years, I dread the isolation, the loneliness, the lack of respect, the psychological torture of uselessness and burdensomeness and most of all health aspects related to ageing .I am already talking like a 50 yr old but I feel once I accept the fact that life not only has a beginning, a middle but also an end would eliminate all my insecurities.
This beautiful birthday cake was Mishti's choice and the whole day my hubby made me shop:) That made my day:)

26 comments:

  1. My belated warm wishes :) Wish many more Dear.... Still young by heart and mind ...I never bother about my age ...
    The entries look awesome ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you had a very happy birthday, Saswati! Don't worry about age, dear. I mean, it's really just a state of mind, right? :) Nice entry for both events! Keep smiling and looking forward to more posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated wishes to u..The breakfast is really healthy..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Saswati, and here's to many more!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a very interesting and delicious looking omelet! And nay worry on the age - The thirties are when we women peak I feel! More sure of ourselves and far more independent than ever! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. belated happy birthday and thanks for a great entry. I can't wait to try this.

    I'll join you (at 32) in a few months'... hey... life's just begun... come on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belated wishes...and i dread b'days for the age factor..


    love the fluffy omelette with the pears....nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. belated burrrrrrday wishes saswati:) we grow young as yrs pass:)
    and u used rum for breakfast meal???? my head spins;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifull breakfast palette over there..

    i too enjoy blogging like u saswati..

    ReplyDelete
  10. A Belated Happy Birthday to you.But, funnily, I too was born on the same day, seven years before you.

    Welcome aboard food blogging. Would love to read many more lovely posts from you.

    Take care

    Arundhati

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish you a very Happy Birthday Dear Saswati!

    Dusvidaniya ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belated birthday wishes to you, Saswati. Here's to many many more!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Belated happy birthday, Saswati! And many happy returns!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, it couldn't get healthier and tastier than this gal! and hope you had great fun on your b'day! you are nt that old:)D, so don't worry:)

    thanks for a lovely entry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanx a lot everybody for the wishes and for boosting my morale,feel blessed to have friends like you:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday to you, Saswati! Great post and lovely entries. They all look so yummy, including your b'day cake.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope u had a great day. Belated b'day wishes. I have not heard of this omelet. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Belated birthday wishes!

    In the meantime, rum and pear sounds YUM! Thats one delish breakfast up there!

    Smita

    ReplyDelete
  19. That breakfast looks good. I like the sound of using pears in an omelette.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Belated Happy Birthday Dear saswati. What a yummy cake you daughter picked.
    Aha and what did you shop all day :)
    Lovely recipes too

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Saswati, I did list myself....but a little shaky on this kind of thing! I think there was something wrong...so I am going into site feed again....maybe I will be there this time! Sailu had also sent me a mail saying she listed me...

    ReplyDelete
  22. well...you know they say life begins at 30!! happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That breakfast looks divine and a sweet souffle omlette.. lovely.
    Hey 32 is definitely not old... your spirit is ageless right? :) Happy birthday! (belated).

    ReplyDelete
  24. Belated Happy Birthday!! Hope you had a fantastic day!! Let's all stay young at heart with a healthy body, what say? I wish you loads of happiness, always!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey! Happy Birthday, and God Bless you! I love the song - Top of the world by Carpenters playing right now!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey....belated birthday wishes :) Hope u had a great time.The breakfast looks just yummy!

    http://homecooked.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS

Related Posts with Thumbnails