Paneer or cottage Cheese is a staple Indian food that Indian households cannot do without in their meals, a substitute for meat for the die hard vegetarians.Its our favourite Indian Cheese made by curdling fresh milk in vinegar,lemon juice ,curd or any other food acids.
And in East India paneer is the ubiquitous Chenna ,all sweet dishes in Odisha,Bengal and Assam are made from Paneer.Chenna is a crumbly and moist form of Paneer.Its an ultimate favourite in North India and made with butter or spinach,or peas or stuffed in parathas ,infact innumerable spicy,delicious varieties of paneer dishes.
And cheers to our own desi cheese, it's a hot favourite of my kids. Infact I feel they should wear a " I love Paneer" badge on them.They love Paneer in any form whether it's a paratha or a sandwich stuffing or a curry or a pulao or the easy peasy Paneer Bhurjee .
My today's post Methi Paneer Malai is actually adapted from the recipe Methi mutter malai,chunks of Paneer in a creamy fenugreek based Curry .Compliments well with Rotis,Parathas or Naan.Yummy is the word you would utter after a spoonful of this rich tasty combo.The garnish of fresh cream makes
it tempting and gives a nice touch of subtelty to this delicious paneer dish.
For the Masala paste
2 medium sized onions ,chopped
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste/ ginger and garlic chopped according to 1 tbsp paste
1 big tomato,chopped
2 tbsp chopped cashews,soaked in water
1 green chilli,chopped
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tbsp oil
For the gravy
250 gms Paneer,diced according to the size you want
2 C fresh Fenugreek/ Methi leaves
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam Masala powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red chilli powder/1/2 tsp if you want less spicy.
1/4 C cream,whisked
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp dry fenugreek leaves for garnish
1 C hot water
2 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
- Wash the fenugreek leaves,chop it and add 1/2 tsp salt,keep it aside for 15 mins and then squeeze out the water.This helps in removing the bitterness from the leaves.
- Take 1 tbsp oil in a pan,add cumin seeds and when it splutters add the chopped onion,fry till transparent.
- Add the ginger garlic and green chillies,chopped or paste,fry till the raw smell goes away.
- Now add the chopped tomato and sauté till the masala starts leaving the sides of the pan.
- Remove from fire and let it cool a little,once warm grind the masala in a mixer with the soaked and drained cashews and a little water added to it.
- In the same pan take 2 tbsp oil and once heated add the chopped and squeezed fenugreek leaves and fry on a low medium flame till they lessen in quantity.
- Add the ground masala paste,the coriander,turmeric and chilli powder to it and sauté till For 6-7 minutes and oil starts releasing.
- Add the hot water,give a nice boil to the methi gravy and let it simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add the whisked cream,paneer,garam masala and the sugar,mix well and switch of the flame.Garnish with dried fenugreek leaves.
- Serve hot with Rotis or Naan and enjoy the rich flavourful curry.