Sep 22, 2015

Carrot Cake with a Cream Cheese Frosting


I have been baking cakes since my college days and those days vanilla cakes were a hit and that too in a basic round electric oven which was ubiquitous to every baking household .I stuck to vanilla and chocolate till I got married and all the time thinking of myself as a baking queen. When I entered into the baking arena with a hand mixer and OTG and few sophisticated foreign author cake books I discovered that there was a world of cakes that I had never ventured into.Since then I haven't looked back,baked cakes after cakes  and have carved a place for myself as an expert baker baking from simple pound cakes to towering layer cakes.My passion for baking has made me bake at 1 in the night too and savouring a warm ,fluffy piece before retiring to bed.There is nothing like the taste of a cake you make in your own kitchen.Measure your ingredients properly, mix it with lots of love and bake it with utmost care ...that's my secret to a perfect cake.Here is my favourite Carrot Cake recipe with a hint of walnuts and cinnamon and a tangy cream cheese frosting.Simple,Sweet,Moist and Flavourful...adapted from Joy of baking.





You Require:-

For the Cake
1 C All purpose flour
1 1/4 C grated raw carrots
2 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 C fine sugar
1/2 C refine oil( vegetable,canola or safflower)
1/2 C coarsely crushed walnuts
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt

For the frosting
2 ounces unsalted butter
4 ounces cream cheese
1 C icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest.

Method


  • Preheat the oven to 180 deg C
  • Line a round 9 inch pan with parchment paper.
  • Whisk flour baking powder,baking soda,cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
  • In a separate bowl with a electric mixer whisk eggs till frothy and then add sugar gradually  till the batter is pale and thick and then beat in the vanilla.
  • Add the flour mix to the batter and mix till incorporated.

  • Add the grated carrots and walnuts and fold in with a spatula.
  • Bake for 25-30 mins or till a toothpick in the centre comes out clean.
  • For the frosting beat the butter with cream cheese with electric beater just until blended.
  • Gradually add sifted icing sugar to the mix and beat on low speed until smooth.
  • Lastly add the vanilla and lemon zest and beat.
  • Spread the frosting on the cool cake and decorate with walnuts and refrigerate the leftovers.

P.S. Always ensure to sift your flour before measuring.


I am sending my entry to Bake of the week held by Helen of Casa Costello.


Casa Costello




No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS

Related Posts with Thumbnails